Get our 2021 International Viewbook (PDF)


Due to the COVID-19 situation, we will be temporarily accepting unofficial transcripts (while we are waiting for WES and official transcripts) and unofficial language scores for CONDITIONAL admission. Official documents will be required at a later date in order to clear your admissions dossier. For more information, please contact us at Laurentian University takes the COVID-19 situation very seriously. Should our students or applicants have any questions about it, please visit our last updates at

International Students

International Applicants

This document will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: 2:00 PM, September 21, 2020.
Besides, click here for the latest updates from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).


Is the September 2020 session taking place?

The Fall 2020 term started on September 9, 2020. We are offering a full semester although a small number of our hands-on and experiential courses are offered in-person and the majority of our courses are delivered remotely. Additional information about course delivery is also available in our FAQ for domestic students. Updates will continue to be made via email campaigns and our website as the situation progresses.


Is Laurentian University still admitting international students for September 2020?

No. The admissions team now processes applications for the Winter term that starts on January 2021. Decisions are based on documents that you upload to your myLaurentian Applicant Portal.

Keep in mind that it takes three to four weeks to evaluate your application once your documents have been uploaded (transcripts, language assessment if needed, etc.). Then, should you receive a letter of admission from Laurentian University, applying for a study permit takes time. Visa offices outside Canada may suggest November 1st as the application deadline for the January intake. In case you don’t receive your study permit on time for this Winter, you will be able to defer at no cost your admission to the next intake by using this form.       

We also understand that some students require additional flexibility in meeting deadlines as a result of disruptions to schooling or exams due to COVID-19. Laurentian is committed to working with any students who may need extra time in order to complete their application. However, should you not present your final, original transcript, before the start of classes, Laurentian University reserves the right to rescind your admission. For questions or more details, please contact us at


If I have received an offer of admission to a program that has been moved to remote delivery due to COVID-19, do I still need a study permit to study from my home country?

You should apply for a study permit as soon as you receive your offer of admission for a program that is normally offered in person and if you plan to come to Canada once COVID-19 travel restrictions are removed.


Can I travel to Laurentian University if I get or if I already have my study permit?

If your program components are available online then we strongly suggest that you follow your studies online in your country of residence until the travel restrictions change. In-person programs have been temporarily moved online due to COVID-19. Please refer to the IRCC website for updated instructions regarding travelling to Canada, study permits, working on and off-campus and Post-Graduation Work Permit Eligibility.

Information for international students and the consequences of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) have been issued by the Government of Canada on this page. We invite you to read it carefully.

Since most of the September in-class courses have been moved to an online-only format, because of COVID-19, we strongly suggest to study from home. As stated here, if you apply for your study permit before starting your program, any time spent studying online from outside Canada since spring 2020 now counts toward the length of a post-graduation work permit. (Before, only the time spent studying online after you were approved for a study permit counted.)


What should I do if I have any immigration-related questions (e.g., if my study permit needs to be extended this year)?

International students are encouraged to book an appointment directly with an Immigration Advisor. Contact to book an appointment.


How do I stay updated with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada changes to study permits during COVID-19?

This page of IRCC's website contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.


I am unable to take an English Language Proficiency Test (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.). What do I do?

If you cannot provide us with a recognized proficiency test at this time, we will still assess your application for admission. You may be required to complete our English for Academic Preparation program, or you may be asked to provide minimum required test scores prior to the first day of classes. Please visit our page for more information on other tests that may meet your needs.

We now accept Duolingo with a minimum of 110 as an English language proficiency test for direct admissions during COVID-19.


I am an international student and I have accepted my offer of admission for the Fall. How do I defer to January 2021 or September 2021?

International students may begin their studies from anywhere in the world. Access to our world class programming, faculty and researchers continues to be available via online tools. Additionally, IRCC has amended the post-graduate work permit to include those who study online/distance. Requesting to defer your studies is not necessary, though it is possible by completing this form.


What’s the COVID-19 situation in the City of Greater Sudbury where is located Laurentian University?

Your best resource to keep being informed is Public Health Sudbury & Districts, a progressive public health agency committed to improving health and reducing social inequities in health through evidence-informed practice.
As stated on May 24 by Dominic Giroux, President and CEO of Health Sciences North and the Health Sciences North Research Institute, Sudbury and Ontario tested more than the rest of Canada for COVID-19 which demonstrates the proactive measures being taken by our community.


Will my tuition fees be reimbursed if I study online because of COVID-19 while waiting for a study permit that finally gets refused?

Students who withdraw prior to September 8th will not be charged any tuition fees. Courses dropped after September 8th will be charged according to this schedule. Graduate thesis completion refund schedule can be found here.

Please note that courses offered in a distant format because of COVID-19 are subject to the same excellence criteria as courses offered on campus. As such, no refund will be allowed except according to the above schedules. Should you have more questions, please contact


Can I pay my deposit after the deadline stated on my Decision Letter?

We encourage you to pay your deposit as soon as possible to reserve your place in your program of interest. As mentioned on the last page of your Decision Letter, payments can be made through Flywire at For more details about our Deposit Policy for International Applicants, please click here.


What do I do if I am unable to request a WES report? 

If you applied to one of our graduate programs, we will be temporarily accepting official or unofficial transcripts (while we are waiting for WES) and unofficial language scores for CONDITIONAL admission. Please make sure to submit the documents on the Applicant Portal. Official documents and a course by course WES report will be required before the start of classes in order to clear your admissions dossier.